Friday 26 May 2017

Broken Pony

Dee has apparently decided that I cannot go on vacation. I got home at 3 am after a week away and ran out to put rain sheets on the hooligans due to an incoming storm. Everyone was happy and undamaged.

Not the text you want to get

My SO texted me the above photo later the same day while I was at work. Thankfully he's awesome and cold hosed it for me and let me know that there was heat but no swelling and it didn't look like a puncture, just a missing chunk.

I figured it's a long ways from her heart, and finished up my work day. By the time I got home it was super fat so I cold hosed, scrubbed and wrapped, wit a plan to reassess in the morning.

Still puffy after being wrapped all night

Unfortunately, it was fat and super hot in the morning so I set up an appointment with the vet later in the day. Because my SO really is awesome he took her in for me so I could still get a full day of work in. 

I figured it wouldn't be an issue for me not to be there. I was counting on them scrubbing it up and sending her home with SMZ's.

Turns out it's a bit more involved than that. She's quite reactive to palpating the area so X-rays were taken and turns out she broke her splint bone. Thankfully it's not displaced and should heal cleanly. But the question is now if she's damaged her suspensory or if she's just reacting due to the cellulitis. 

So now it's a waiting game. Once the swelling is gone she needs to go back so we can ultrasound the leg. Fingers crossed that it's just cellulitis and the broken splint bone (never ever did I think I'd be hoping my horse just has a broken bone).

Now if you will excuse me, I need to go pull myself out of the dreaded spiral of Oh-my-god-my-horse-is-broken-and-will-have-to-be-put-down-and-I'm-a-terrible-owner by drinking all the wine in my house.

13 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, Dee! Fingers crossed for a quick and complication free recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear... Pig broke his splint almost two years ago. It took a bit of rest, but wasn't too involved. Fingers crossed it's just the bone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooh, ouch, poor Dee! i worry about injuries like that constantly bc charlie seems to whack the insides of his cannon constantly.... anyway fingers crossed it's just the cellulitis that's causing so many problems and that all the other structures are fine!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! :( Fingers/toes/hooves/paws are crossed in my family that the suspensory is not involved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you should come up with an equestrian injury drinking game.
    On a serious note, I hope she's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! Everything crossed hoping that it's just a broken splint

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no Dee! Naughty pony for making your owner worry so much. Hopefully it's a quick recovery and back to being awesome for you both. Hugs and wine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like once a year the blogging world goes through a giant chunk of horse injuries and sicknesses all at once. Wtf, horses. Hoping for a smooth recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! I am so sorry to hear that. What terrible news. Fingers crossed for a full recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fingers crossed it's nothing more. How do they do this stuff to themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fingers crossed for you! My girl fractured her cannon last year, thankfully X-Rays came back as clean as you can hope for her (no soft tissue involvement). I really hope Dee has a similar outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Drinking some wine for you! (even though I realize I'm super behind on reading and this post is old)

    ReplyDelete